Tuesday, April 23, 2024

The Verge

Click image for more photos ...
Our friend Dave O'Hallaran (aka What Wave Dave on CHRW) has been sharing on Facebook, with our grateful permission, photos that we had taken of various bands back in the 1980's. Today Dave writes in The Cedar Lounge - Blue Boot group:

"Some more Reg Quinton pics. This time it's The Verge (and possibly the Earwigs), from Exeter ON and probably 1980 at the Cedar opening up for NFG.
Pictured are Pete Dekoker, Dick May, William R Parsons, possibly Jeff Rooth on drums, Mike Smith and others. Any help on the others names appreciated."

Markii Burnaway replies "Little factoid: I jammed with the Verge and got the idea to bring Rooster and Pete to form a new 63 Monroe."

I have some faded memories of this event. The Marilyn Monroe poster does mark it as an NFG/63 Monroe event. I do recall there was some Nazi punk stuff with this band that I found very disturbing —I've asked Dave not to share those photos but there are some in the album that give a hint to what was going on. I didn't like it a the time, still don't, especially after having been to Auschwitz in Poland (2003). Some of that anarchy punk stuff I'll put down to youthful indescretion, but I won't celebrate it. 

From the photos it looks like I was using both cameras, one loaded with B/W, the other with slide film. We used to develop both in our darkroom. Photos would have been scanned sometime around 2005 for our 25th Wedding Anniversary. I still have the negatives and could scan again for higher resolution.

Many thanks to Dave for his work organizing our photos and documenting the scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment