Friday, November 11, 2022

Oral History -- Mac Dixon

Click image for report
Today we're in Beunos Aires, Argentia but our thoughts return to family at home. And especially those who are long gone. I reached out to Prof Karen Sykes (Manchester) who I rightly determined had authored an oral history of some D-day veterans including our uncle "Mac" who drove "The Bold" on that fateful day. I asked:

"I believe you did an oral history of my Uncle Mac Dixon when you were at Western. I have a copy of your type written report dated Jan 3, 1983 where you had interviewed him in Mitchell. I'd like to share it on my blog to honor Mac on Nov 11.

Do you mind?

My intention is, and remains, to transcribe the text but I haven't done that yet."

Professor Sykes has kindly granted her permission. She tells me the report will already be available in the 1st Hussars archives but agrees that postings like this are a good way to keep history alive -- lest we forget.

My intention is to come back to this post, transcribe her report, and add the additional details she has kindly provided.

Until then.



1 comment:

  1. Uncle Reg,
    Thanks for sharing this harrowing account of Great Uncle Mac's story during WWII. I was only vaguely aware of the tank sinking episode at Juno Beach.

    For posterity, here is a link to a photo album of the 'BOLD' Sherman duplex drive being salvaged in 1970. https://www.facebook.com/FirstHussarsMuseum/posts/re-sharing-this-album-of-some-photographs-of-the-bold-in-honour-of-d-day-the-bol/597490440271650/

    ReplyDelete