Friday, April 5, 2024

63 Monroe/NFG

 
We have a bit of history with the band 63 Monroe (also known first as "NFG" and briefly as "First Date") starting back in the 1979/1980. Their 1980 EP, "63 Monroe/NFG", has been re-released on vinyl (also digital on Bandcamp) on Tony Lima's "Yeah Right!" label and we are peripherally involved. Band credits for the EP are:
  • Steven R. Stunning (lead throat)
  • Markii Burnaway (guitar)
  • Bob Gliddon & Mark Deroux (bass)
  • Peter Lamber (drums)
Back in the day I was into shooting band photos and they were an outrageous bunch who played 3 chord hard, hard, rock and roll (i.e., Punk) at the infamous Blue Boot/Cedar Lounge and around town. Their shows were crazy, fun and wild! Kate and I really liked them, still do, and even went to see them on our wedding night after the reception. And, icing on that, we had them play at our 25th Wedding Anniversary. We had them a number of times to our home in London back in the 1980's where we'd drink home made beer and play Trivial Pursuits. We still have some contact with some of the guys, Facebook is great for that.

Anyways, back to the EP. We had met some of the guys in the band, they knew I was taking photos, and they asked if they could use some of our work. We said sure and some of those photos appeared as contact strips on the back of the original EP. I wasn't involved in the artwork — the cover was great, the back was very amateurish. Most of my photos of various local bands from back then have been shared with various people, here in my blog, and in many Facebook postings. But, with this re-release, my 15 minutes of fame continues.

Tony Lima, formerly of Call the Office (a noted venue in London), got hold of me in January of 2022. He and Scott Bentley (the voice of NFG/63 Monroe) told me they were looking to re-release the EP on Tony's "Yeah Right!" record label and asked if I still had the photos that were used back in 1980 and if I had any others. The plan was to redo the back cover with better sized photos. Conversations went back and forth with us waving any rights to the photos and rescanning a bunch at higher resolution in late 2022. I hadn't heard much on this project in 2023 and was totally surprised when the project was finished and product was announced this month. I wasn't involved with the artwork but I'm pleased with the results. Doubly pleased as I got a photo credit this time!

We digitized the 1980 EP many years ago and have it framed and on the wall. I really don't like playing or listening to vinyl but Tony was kind enough to give me two copies which I picked up at "Speed City Records". With vinyl, you have the artwork. One copy I've passed on to our friends Sam & Albie, the other I'll save for another day. Micheal Todd, who owns the record store, and I had a bit of a chat when I picked up the EP. The original EP from 1980 is pretty rare, if you can find one, it runs about $150. I asked if the reissue made the original no longer collectable. When I pruned my LP collection back in 2022 he was keen to get hold of the original which I still have, but I said no. Some things you hold onto.

Here's a link to the EP artwork -- the original from 1980 and the reissue of 2024.

----------
There was a bit of back and forth on Facebook over writing credits when the release was announced. Some of it went like this:

Rob Gliddon: So the NFG EP called 63 Monroe, comes out again without crediting any of the songwriters. It was a problem back then and it's still an issue. Simon Lewis wrote 'At The Boot', 'Cyanide' and 'Hijack Victim', I wrote two songs and Mark wrote one. I'm sure the writers of 'Teenage Kicks' might want their credit. More than enough time was available to do things properly, it was just ignored.

Reg Quinton: Rob Gliddon so I am to understand that you wrote "Give 'em up" and "Goodbye Guyana" while Markii Burnaway wrote "After"? "Teenage Kicks" is, of course, The Undertones. They're all great tunes, iconic even. Ps. I was pleased to get a photo credit.

Markii Burnaway: I wrote Give em up.. I am pretty sure Bob wrote Goodbye Guyana .100% convinced the Undertones were behind the creation of Teenage Kicks

Rob Gliddon: Reg Quinton I wrote 'After' and 'Goodbye Guyana' as a response to Simon Lewis's 'Cyanide' Simon wrote the bulk of NFG's original setlist. Later this year I will be releasing a full set of live tracks from the original NFG line-up with Simon. It comes from a Monday night gig at The Boot. It will disprove the idea that the original line-up couldn't play. It rocks like granite.

There's been a muddled history to the bands. It all reminds me of an Austin Lounge Lizards song, "Would You Like To Start A Band". The history is similar. But putting aside some of the bad memories, it was a lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment