Monday, May 5, 2014

The King of Tennessee

The photo at left is my sweet baboo Kate with the singer Chris Wall taken at the Twin Creeks Dance Hall in Leander during our winter visit to Austin in 2014. Leander is a suburb in the north west of the city and the Twin Creeks Dance Hall is located on a woodsy farm road essentially in the middle of nowhere. You're definitely in the country in more ways than one.

We were listening to a Jerry Jeff Walker record yesterday (Live at Gruene Hall 1989) and noted that there were three great songs by Chris written those many years ago -- I Feel Like Hank Williams Tonight, Rodeo Wind and Trashy WomenKate doesn't have too much lipstick, too much rouge or a Dolly Parton wig but she does pride herself on being a tad on the trashy side and proud to have a picture with Chris.

Like many country artists Chris does some funny songs -- Trashy Women and Something to Shoot are examples of that. But there are others that are sheer poetry -- Hank Williams, Rodeo Wind and We're All in This Together. You'll find "We're All In This Together" on his latest record, El Western Hotel (2013 produced by the ubiquitous Lloyd Maines). It's a confessional of a life lived, mistakes made and lessons learned. A song which really moved me when he sang it live at the Twin Creeks. I have the CD; got it last year on our visit to Austin but hadn't really listened closely. With live music you attend to the words and I finally listened and heard the lyrics. Like Townes Van Zandt he has written tunes where the words fit so well. If I had written anyone of those great songs I'd be able to hang up my hat, put down my pen and say I'm done. There's nothing more to be said, but that's never true:

"When you think it’s all been done
You’re sure it’s all been said
Some young unknown poet drops a line and stops you dead"

But just one more thing I wanted to say ... There was a great line used by Chris during his show which brought me to writing this. He clearly loves all thing Texas -- the cowboy hat and boots, a pickup truck and something to shoot (lyrics from  "Something to Shoot" on Honky Tonk Heart (1990)). He was raving about what a great place Texas is, like Jerry Jeff he's from elsewhere but loves Texas, and summed it up by saying, "I'd rather be a fence post in Texas than the King of Tennessee". I'm not sure where the line originally comes from, it's found as a bar room snippet on his album "Any Saturday Night In Texas"  (1996, a live at Greune Hall recording), and is usually credited to Chris. Whoever wrote it many thanks, it's a good one.

Postscript: There's a good collection of Popular Chris Wall Videos on Youtube -- check them out and become a fan.

#Austin #LiveMusic #ChrisWall

No comments:

Post a Comment